Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Chapter 12 Make Every Minute Count

WOW! I'm done reading these chapters. I hope this book makes me a better teacher of writing and I do think that it has helped me see some things I need to do as a teacher. Being a sixth grade teacher I have to look at the whole picture that I have to be equally worried and equally giving to all subject matter that I teach. In her last chapter she almost sounds like she doesn't teach anything but writing so you shouldn't take any work home at all. That's not possible because we don't have the time at school to assess all subject matter everyday. I do care about my kids and hopefully make their lives a little bit more fulfilling by being in my class.

3 comments:

Sillin Spotlights said...

Well Tim I do think the kids appreciate you as your teacher. Time seems to be our enemy when we are teaching or assessing the many disciplines every day.

Mindy Wills said...

It is hard to reduce the paper load and doing our best in several subjects each day. I, for one, am going to try and reduce all the things I take home to do. Does all that work at home really make my students better? I am taking Regie's words to heart, "One way to reduce stress and have more energy for teaching is to have a life outside of school!" That maybe one of the best first steps to being a better teacher of anything!

astambaugh said...

Like you, I hope this books makes me become a better writing teacher. There are lots of good ideas. Paperwork, preparing for state assessments & the actual state assessments have taken some of the fun out of teaching. Kids have to feel comfortable with their teacher in order to experience new things.