Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Chapter 11 Build on Best Practice and Research

So, in this chapter it sounds like no writing program is good enough to strictly teach to learn how to write. I guess she assumes that all teachers are great writers and are able to become awesome teachers because they can write. This means that ALL students will become great writers because the teacher is a great writer. So, does that also mean that a teacher that is a great artist will make ALL students great artists and that a teacher that is a great musician will make ALL students great musicians, and so on and on. Not all teachers are great writers and need programs to help them teach writing, otherwise why do we need textbooks to teach other subjects. I'm not saying she's wrong but not all of us are "born" writers or have the ability to become writers. It has to do with some natural ability also as all talents go in every area of life. We are all good at something but very few are good at everything. She sounds like she is an excellent writer and excellent teacher of writing and maybe reading also, but is she as good at every subject? She is putting alot of emphasis on the fact we are all good writers and can make everybody a good writer and I disagree with that. We need other means just in case. I know that good teachers can tweak things to make them better in our classrooms and to help students become better learners but she sounds like we are suppose to make every student a professional writer. I wish that was possible.

2 comments:

Mrs. Babcock said...

I agree with some of your points. I am not a great writing teacher, but just knowing that makes me want to try and improve myself. Am I comfortable teaching writing? Not yet. Do I want to get better? Definitely! Do I think there is a writing program out there that encompasses everything a good writer does? I don't know. I do believe that giving kids authentic writing experiences will improve their writing. Do I think it will improve their test scores? I couldn't tell you.

Brenda Dunning said...

Vicky,
I agree with what you are saying. It's my experience that sometimes when you are great at something, it's harder for you to teach it to others. I believe as a teacher I bring more compassion and awareness for struggling learners if I too have struggled in the same area.